The University of Amsterdam is now accepting applications from suitably qualified students into their Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship for students. It is a partially funded scholarship for all students. Scroll down to read in details.
The University of Amsterdam is a public university in Amsterdam, Netherlands. The UvA is one of two large, publicly funded research universities in the city, the other being the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
It is one of the largest research universities in Europe, with 31,186 students, 4,794 staff, 1,340 PhD students and an annual budget of €600 million. It is the largest university in the Netherlands by enrollment. The main campus is in central Amsterdam, with a few faculties in adjacent boroughs.
1. Not have the nationality of one country of the EU/EEA or Suisse
2. Not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans
3. Not be eligible to pay the reduced tuition fee rate for EEA students at the UvA
4. Not receive a full coverage scholarship for the same period of study as the AES
5. Have applied to one of the MSc programmes (see the website of your MSc programme for the application and admission procedure)
6. Have been (or will be) admitted for the first time to one of the MSc programmes at the UvA
7. Be able to comply with the conditions to get a Dutch visa (if applicable)
8. Have completed their previous academic programme no longer than 3 years ago
9. The International Team should be notified as soon as possible of any change in nationality, type of residence permit or additional financial support throughout the academic year.
Selection Criteria for Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship
1. The candidate’s academic records. Students belonging to the top 10% of graduates from their class can apply. This means an overall GPA equivalent to:
- 3.5 (American system, 4-point scale)
- 1st class honours/ upper-division (British system)
- 8+ (Dutch EC-system, 10-point scale);
The academic quality of the educational institute where the (under)graduate degree has been (or will be) obtained;
The quality of the letter of motivation (maximum 500 words), in which the candidate explains the reasons for choosing the specific Master’s programme in a broader context and the relevance of obtaining this scholarship for the candidate’s future academic career;
The candidate’s curriculum vitae, including a description of extracurricular activities such as participation in student commissions, international experience, sports or music at a high level or volunteer work;
Proof of English proficiency:
- TOEFL (internet-based); an overall score of 100, with a minimum score of 22 in each of the four components
- IELTS (academic); an overall score of 7.0, with a minimum of 7.0 in each of the four components
A Cambridge Examination Score with a minimum test result of C1 Advanced (CAE) A or B will also be accepted. For the C2 Proficiency test (CPE) a minimum score of C is required;
- The quality of the application (completeness, accuracy, consistency).
Failure to meet one or more of the requirements or selection criteria automatically means that the student is not eligible for this scholarship.
Eligibility for Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship
1. The applicants should hold a non-EU/EEA passport and not be eligible for support under studiefinanciering, the Dutch system of study grants and loans (for more information, consult the DUO website).
2. Also, they should be (provisionally) admitted to an English-taught Master’s degree programme at the University of Amsterdam, which is registered in the Central Register of Higher Education Programmes (CROHO).
3. Likewise, to a Master’s programme at the UvA for the first time. An AES will not be awarded to candidates who are admitted for a second Master’s programme at the UvA.
4. Also, be able to comply with Dutch visa regulations, as shown by the Dutch Immigration Service (IND).
5. Enrol at the UvA as a full-time student for the academic year and the programme. The University does not guarantee the scholarship continuation when a candidate changes his or her Master’s programme.
6. The candidate should not receive another scholarship for the same period of study as the AES.
Scholarship Award for Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship
Full scholarship of €25,000 covering tuition and living expenses
- You are holding a non-EU/EEA passport.
- You will admit to a Master’s program of the Faculty of Science.
- They will assess you based on academic excellence and promise in the proposed field, as evidenced by supporting documents.
- Applicants do not get another scholarship for the same period of study as the AES.
Application Deadline: Application Closed